A reality based independent journal of observation & analysis, serving the Flathead Valley & Montana since 2006. © James Conner.

29 March 2015

Caffero & alleged conflict of interest, Brooklyn LEDs

A conflict of interest for Sen. Mary Caferro? The question was raised yesterday in a story in the Missoulian. The Helena Democrat and Bozeman Republican Sen. Scott Sales co-sponsored SB-411, which would close the Montana Developmental Center in Boulder. Caferro, it turns out, “…works for an organization with ties to a company that could get more businesses if MDC closes.”

Caferro says there’s no conflict of interest. And perhaps there isn’t. This might be just another case of wanting too much to claim credit for doing a good thing. That’s not unknown in politics, even at the state level (indeed, even at the dogcatcher level). But there’s certainly the appearance of a potential conflict of interest, so she was politically tone deaf to carry the bill, which has broad support and could — and should — have been sponsored by another Democrat.

Brooklyn Streetlight LEDs. Brooklyn, NY, is replacing the orangey sodium vapor lamps in its streetlights with clusters of light emitting diodes. The LEDs will save millions of dollars. But people in residential neighborhoods feel as though they’ve been transported into a science fiction dystopia thanks to the LEDs, which emit a bright but harsh bluish-white light best suited to illuminating prison yards.

Not all LEDs are equal. The LEDs in cheap flashlights emit a harsh, bluish-white light, while more expensive Luxeon and CREE LEDs emit a more pure white light that’s easier on the eyes. Residential LED Edison based lamps that I can afford are too green for my comfort, although I use them in porch lights because they’re efficient and go to full power instantly in cold weather. The high powered LEDs found in streetlights and industrial applications are efficient, but they’re harsh and need shielding and diffusing.

But although shielding and diffusion help, the color temperature really needs to be reduced to reduce glare. Shorter wavelengths of light are more easily scattered, so 5500°K lights generate more glare than 2700°K lights. Older people, especially those with cataracts, experience more vision problems with bluish-white LEDs than with warmer lights. As municipal agencies ponder refitting streetlight with LEDs, they should take the color and character of light into consideration. They should also consider whether every street needs a light. I think a lot of streetlights and yard lights could be turned off without any adverse effect on public safety other than a few necks with cricks from too much stargazing.