A reality based independent journal of steely-eyed observation & analysis, serving the Flathead Valley & Montana since 2006. © James Conner.

13 June 2023 — 1537 mdt

Trump’s MAGA cult followers don’t care about
the facts or whether he’s guilty as charged

Florida based sociopath Donald J. Trump, a former President, today plead not guilty to 31 counts of violating the espionage act, and six counts including obstruction of justice. (Read the indictment.)

He was accused of unlawfully retaining top secret documents, not of spying or treason.

Tonight he’s holding a rally in New Jersey to raise money and, presumably, to repeat his argument that the Deep State is persecuting him by insisting that he follow the law.

During the trial, the facts upon which the indictment is based will be introduced as evidence. But this phase of the process will be preceded by motions and arguments concerning the admissibility of that evidence, which could be documents or testimony. Months of this could result in the trial being conducted in the fall of 2024.

Do not expect his most loyal supporters to know or care about the facts supporting the indictment. They believe he’s standing up for them against the hated college educated elites, and that’s all they need to know. They believe he can do no wrong, and they will blindly and ecstatically jump into the abyss with him.

It’s the same cult behavior that led 918 at Jonestown in Guyana to so believe in their leader, Jim Jones, that they took their own lives by drinking poisoned Flavor Aid. It won’t come to that at the MAGA camps, of course, as it’s hard for dead voters to cast legal ballots. But that’s the level of support he’s receiving from millions who have gulled themselves into believing that Trump is on their side.

I make no prediction on the outcome of the trial, but I do predict that the longer it goes on, the more interest in it will fade and the more voters will return to asking candidates “What have you done for me lately?”